Friday, February 1, 2008

my Corel and Me

So after much consideration about what my first blog will be about.... Myra came to me questioning my art like how could she attend college 71 years and not get what I do. Pretty much I take my drawings and put them on my computer and make them cooler. Its not that simple but it is. Ill explain.

I use a program called Corel Draw X3. I also us the Adobe stuff.... but lets limit this to just Corel today because 80% of my work is done in Corel.

Corel is like cheeze whiz.. its cooler and easy and cheaper than Adobe. BUT Adobe is the industry standard by default. I think because nobody thinks this...
1. The price......$429.00 for the WHOLE graphic suite. HEY guess what!! on looking up the price I just noticed my version of COREL just got dumped on with a NEWER X4. Released 23rd of January, 2008. but lets talk about the price for the new.....429...X4 ....you get this: PowerTRACE, PHOTO-PAINT, and CorelDRAW which is the illustrator. To get Adobe programs equal too X4 you'd need: Illustrator $599 Photoshop $649. Add it up.. wait ....

Ok so Corel cost less.....

When I think about Adobe vs. Corel. I first think of who has heard of Corel? From jr high all the way to 4 years out of high school Ive never heard the words COR and EL put together. Adobe Photoshop ADOBE PHOTOSHOP ADOBE PHOTOSHOP!!!!! everyone gets somehow. illegally or legally everyone I know who loves graphic design, loves photoshop. BUT I find its also a MAC vs. PC kind of thing. Corel Draw is only a WINDOWS program.

For the people reading this who automatically think Adobe programs rulz like meatwad with a spray can.... Just think of why you like Adobe programs. Then think of what is lacking from them? Corel offers the exact same capabilities as ADOBE.. plus alittle extra ease of use.

Onto myra...

Doing any art, logo, layout Id never make it up in the program itself. But for a art image I want I will draw the image on paper and then scan the image into my compy.

Then I would import the image into Corel Draw and TRACE the image into a VECTOR IMAGE da da da..... A vector image is a objects that is defined by mathematical equations rather than pixels (pixels:like a bitmap/jpeg), so they always render at the highest quality. Tracing the object makes each color a object that can be adjusted without pixels or other objects attatched. I just sketched this image for this blog because all other images are on my MAC which is BROKE and currently being FIXED. As you seen in the picture below is a sketch of a drawing Ive done.

The image is a jpeg but after tracing the image I would get this.

I would then have to CLEAN UP the object then place the object and color the object and add stuff and then BAM rock you like a hurricane and get this.


In Corel Tracing a jpeg is a click away. Editing I believe is easier in Corel than in illustrator. I am not saying I wouldnt use ADOBE. I am advising everyone to go out and learn, USE everything to make things faster for you, make work easy, and more productive and have more time to do this. or this. and the worst game ever. I need Adobe programs just as much as Corel. Why? Not to have the programs but to make my art/work bet, better and bestest.

additional fact.
South Park characters, scenery, and props are drawn using CorelDRAW.

1 comment:

Ben Tietje said...

Great post. For those who known the history of computers, CorelDraw came before Adobe Photoshop. People who use Photoshop seem to think it's greater then sliced bread and it's not. Rock on KC!